Hostel Survival Guide

Hostels... if you've never stayed in one before, the word probably strikes absolute horror into your heart. You'll have heard stories about people getting their passports pinched, walking through whitey in the bathrooms and sleeping in suspicious sheets. Maybe this was true when your mum went backpacking 20 years ago, but the hostel game in 2019 is strong.

Victoria Hostel Genoa - my favourite hostel!
With increased traveller numbers and competition, the old stereotype of a dodgy backpacker's is almost entirely untrue nowadays. Pristine bedding, ensuite toilets, free breakfasts and professional level kitchen facilities are all pretty commonplace. But your dream hostel might not look the same as your friend's, and it all really depends what you're looking for. Some accommodations are geared more towards families and business travellers, and some are all about the party vibe. Take stock of what you're looking for in your home-from-home to minimise the risk of disappointment.

My absolute top tip is to always check the reviews. The number 1 resource I found for this is the fabulous Hostelworld. With a handy app in addition to the website, you can book your rooms on the fly - I sometimes found myself doing this on the train there! And the reviews are invaluable as they come from travellers just like yourself that have had a verified visit there. Look for key phrases that match your agenda - I focused on things like "close to the train station", "great transport links" and "friendly atmosphere". If you're a woman I would highly recommend booking female-only rooms, as I did for my whole trip. These rooms are often on higher floors so will be much quieter than the first floor room next to the lifts, and sometimes come with their own private kitchens and bathrooms.

Once you've found yourself a bed for the night, there are loads of ways you can make your stay there more comfortable. I'm not a fan of sleeping in earplugs but a really decent pair of noise-cancelling earphones will help you feel like you've got your own space as you unwind in the evenings with a bit of Netflix - I absolutely loved this pair until I sadly abandoned them under my pillow in Genoa. An eye mask is a must as other travellers are rolling in drunk or checking in/out at all hours, and they're not always considerate about turning the lights on at 5am. Two things I ended up getting while I was away were shower shoes and a wash bag. These just make for a much smoother experience when you're queuing up for the shower cubicle and washing in confined spaces (I got soggy trainers too many times to count).

And don't forget the best part of hostels - meeting people! Hang about in the common areas, go along to the free walking tours or movie nights, and always take advantage of the free breakfast. Even if you want to do your own thing while you're there, you can get so much great information from your fellow hostellers (and maybe get your dinner cooked for you too if you're lucky!). Planning a day trip? Odds are the girl next to you at the breakfast table just went there yesterday. Good local knowledge is the best asset when you're somewhere unfamiliar, so look for it everywhere you can! The staff are usually a great resource too whether it be recommending places to eat, booking tours or simply giving directions.

Here's a few of my favourite hostels from my Interrailing trip:
Victoria House Genoa
St. Christopher's Berlin Alexanderplatz
Wombats City Hostel Vienna - The Naschmarkt

As many excellent hostels as there are out there, there are also a few... less comfortable ones. I cannot stress the importance of fully reading the listing on the website, lest you find yourself in a terror-inducing triple bunk:

Thanks again for reading guys 😘
Next time I'll help you pack for your travels!


Comments

Popular Posts